Case Studies

Our Mold Removal Services Case Studies: High Humidity Causes Mold in Matawan, NJ Attic

Friday, August 10th, 2018 by Brian Gural

Challenge

We usually think of mold formation occurring because of some water intrusion problem like flooding or leaky pipes. We expect to find mold in certain areas of the home -- basements, crawl spaces, kitchens, bathrooms, or pipes in voids behind drywall and drop ceilings. But, as this homeowner in Matawan, NJ found out, attics can also have mold problems. Attics with poor ventilation and indoor high humidity levels can turn dormant, inactive mold spores into active mold growth. 

When an attic has high humidity, the moisture level in the air is more than enough to trigger mold growth. For mold to grow, all you need is water, moisture, and organic matter for the attached mold spores to consume. Inactive mold can easily become active with the right environmental conditions. How do you know the difference? Generally, an inactive mold is dry and powdery while active mold often has a spider web appearance in its early stages and, later on, more bushy appearance as the bloom matures. However, strains of mold come in all different colors, shapes, and textures. The bottom line is that if you see something growing on your walls where it shouldn’t be, especially if there is an accompanying water, moisture, or humidity problem, there’s a good chance its mold. More often than not, your nose will tell you — mold has a distinctive musty, earthy smell.

Solution

To treat this attic mold and make it safe once again, we carefully removed all of the visible mold with a mold cleaning solution. We then treated the mold-affected areas with an antimicrobial (MAPS 1) to kill the mold and a patented polymer sealant (MAPS 2) that encapsulates the mold rendering it harmless and non-allergenic. This sealant will also kill any mold that attempts to grow in the treated areas. With our treatment process it is not necessary to tear out building materials that have not lost their structural integrity. Instead, we are able treat the mold right where it sits and leave the underlying materials alone.  

It is important to treat mold in the nonliving areas of the home because indoor air circulates everywhere. Those traveling airborne mold particles and mycotoxins can have serious adverse health effects on a home’s occupants. When finished with this project, the homeowner once again had a safe, mold-free attic. Of course, it is important for the homeowner to correct the underlying attic ventilation problem that triggered the mold growth in the first place.

 

 

 

our service area

We serve the following areas

Our Locations:

Mold Solutions by Cowleys
1145 NJ-33
Suite #1
Farmingdale, NJ 07727
1-732-658-4098
Top
Service Area
Contact Us