The new way to kill mold and keep it from coming back.
Serving Central NJ, Middletown, Woodbridge, Toms River
This Red Bank homeowner had installed an aluminum vapor barrier in his attic to help control temperatures in his home. According to the homeowner, the barrier worked well — it kept heat out during the summer and kept heat in during the winter. Unfortunately, he ran into an unanticipated problem. Condensation had built up on the barrier because of the temperature changes. And anytime there is excess water or moisture, conditions are ripe for mold growth. The mold growth in this attic was extensive. Fortunately, this homeowner understood that even though mold is not in a living area of the home, it is still important to treat. Mold spores are carried in the air throughout the entire home into the living spaces where it can spread, posing a health hazard for the home’s occupants. Mold must be treated anywhere in the home in order to restore safe indoor air quality.
The homeowner requested that we remove the vapor barrier, and we agreed it had to go. With mold, you have to fix the underlying condition that caused the mold growth in the first place. Otherwise, the mold will return. While this vapor barrier in the attic may have helped with the utility bills, it also was the cause of extensive mold growth — and that is an unacceptable trade-off. The proper way to help control home temperatures and reduce utility bills through good attic insulation (which Cowleys also installs).
We first treat affected areas by applying our EPA-registered anti-microbial (MAPS 1) to kill the surface mold and any airborne mold spores. After, we applied our patented polymer sealant (MAPS 2). While completely safe and non-toxic, mold that comes into contact with this unique sealant is instantly and completely destroyed at the cellular level. The mold is rendered inert, harmless, and non-allergenic. The sealant is also moisture-sensitive and reactivates to prevent the return of any new mold growth in the treated area.
Unfortunately, the mold had caused extensive staining. For non-living spaces like crawl spaces and attics, it is an aesthetic choice to have these stains removed. Residual mold stains, while unsightly, pose no health risk. We informed the homeowner that the straining in the attic appeared to be deep in the wood, and our mold stain remover may not be able to get all of the stains out. Since the mold was not in a living area of the home, the homeowner was not concerned about the aesthetics. His only concern was removal of the mold and ensuring that the mold would not return. And after our treatment process, the vapor barrier — the source of the mold — was removed, the mold was chemicals destroyed, and his family no longer had to worry about any respiratory issues caused by airborne mold spores. The homeowner was quite pleased that we could quickly and effectively treat the mold right without tearing our his attic.
our service area