Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About Mold in New Jersey
- Is MAPS a permanent solution?
- Yes. The MAPS treatment process is a permanent solution to your mold problem as long as the treatment is done thoroughly and professionally. Also, it is essential that the space is kept dry and there is no excess moisture from humidity. Some homes require dehumidification for the long-term prevention of mold.
- Do you remove mold?
- Mold is a living fungus unlike asbestos, which is an inorganic mineral. Asbestos must be removed for a home to be considered safe for its occupants. Mold doesn't need to be removed. Because it is alive, it is sufficient to kill and seal it so that it becomes harmless and no longer poses a health threat. We will remove mold when the building materials on which they are growing are water damaged and non-salvageable.
- How do you kill the mold?
- Our products, an antimicrobial and a patented polymer sealant, instantly kills and seals the mold on contact. We destroy mold at the DNA molecular level.
- When do you have to remove building materials?
- The MAPS system treats and kills mold right where it sits, so it doesn't have a chance to spread. Since mold is a living organism, you need to kill it and make it inert and harmless, so it doesn't have a chance for the spores to relocate and reproduce elsewhere. In severe water intrusion events such as flooding that cause major water damage, building materials may become so water-saturated that they lose their structural integrity. In those cases, the building materials must be removed. But when materials are removed, it is because of irreparable water damage, not because of mold. Mold Solutions by Cowleys offers both MAPS bio-remediation and traditional mold remediation.
- Will there be mold stains?
- First, we kill the mold, and then coat any material that has mold growth with a patented sealant that prevents the mold from returning. Finally, if there are visible mold stains, we scrub and remove as much of the mold stains as possible. Sometimes, deep mold stains cannot be fully removed, especially when there is mold growth on porous material such as dry wall.
- Can you use bleach to remove mold?
- There is a popular myth regarding bleach and mold that just won't go away: To kill mold, all you need to do is wipe it down with bleach, and like magic, the problem is solved. Like many myths with no basis in fact, this is not only incorrect, but also dangerous, especially if bleach is used in an enclosed, poorly ventilated areas without proper protective equipment. Chlorine gas fumes can cause bloody noses, neurological disorders, even death.
According to the EPA's Guide discussing mold in schools and commercial buildings, "the use of a biocide, such as chlorine bleach, is not recommended as a routine practice." The CDC states that you can use bleach for mold growth on hard (nonporous) surfaces in limited areas of less than 10 square feet.
The use of bleach as a mold disinfectant is best left to small clean-up jobs around the home where mold is not a serious problem like kitchen countertops and bathroom tubs and shower glass. Bleach does NOT work on softer, porous surfaces like drywall and most other materials in your home. On porous surfaces, the embedded mold roots are buried deep into the surface. When you wipe down a porous surface with bleach, the water in the solution seeps deep into the surface, while the pungent bleach compound is left on the surface, gassing off into the home, and into your lungs. So, all you've really done with bleach is "fertilize" the mold beneath the surface by giving it more moisture to grow. Often times the mold returns with a vengeance, creating an even bigger problem.
Looking for a price? Get a no cost, no obligation free estimate.