Recently, this homeowner in Delran, NJ went on vacation and while he was gone, a water pipe had burst in his crawl space and about six inches of water had accumulated.
There was also a small spot of mold growth that had started to form on a floor joint toward the back of the house. Once a home has a water or moisture problem, mold inevitably follows. And it doesn’t take long. In moist, humid conditions, some molds will start colonizing in as little as 24 hours. Fortunately, this water intrusion was caught early so the mold growth was localized.
We treated the affected areas with our EPA registered anti-microbial called MAPS 1, which attacks mold on a cellular level and kills it instantly. We then scrubbed away the mold and applied MAPS 2, which is our patented sealant that encapsulates the surface mold is growing on and renders the mold non-allergenic and harmless. MAPS 2 is also moisture-sensitive and reactivates whenever it gets wet to prevent the return of mold.
We were sent out on a service call for a homeowner in Bordentown, NJ who noticed a small amount of mold growth in his basement. We equipped our personal protective equipment and began a thorough inspection of the basement. Within minutes we found mold growing on one of the joists in the basement.
Even a small amount of mold can cause a variety of health problems, especially those who are immune-compromised and have chronic lung illnesses. Now that we located the mold growth, the next step is finding out the cause of the mold growth. After another thorough inspection with our hygrometer, which measures the humidity (amount of water vapor) in the air, we confirmed that this basement had an unacceptably high level of humidity.
Homes require an acceptable range of humidity for our comfort and health, and air that is too dry or too wet can be the source of problems for homeowners. Homes are most comfortable at humidity levels between 30 - 50%. High humidity levels can cause condensation on windows, wet stains on walls and ceilings, musty odors, mold growth, and over extended periods of time, wood rot and structural damage.
With our mold treatment process, we first applied MAPS 1, an EPA-registered anti-microbial application. MAPS 1 (Mold Abatement Polymer Solution 1) is specifically designed to kill active mold growth. We then scrubbed the surface mold and applied MAPS 2, a patented polymer sealant that encapsulates the existing dead mold and prevents future mold from growing.
To treat the high humidity levels, we installed SaniDry commercial-grade dehumidifiers. These machines are specifically designed and manufactured for the challenging environments of basements and crawl spaces. The SaniDry XP can effectively cover indoor living spaces over 3000 square feet, making it well-suited for basements and crawl spaces over 40” high. Now, this basement will no longer have chronic humidity issues and the risk of dangerous mold growth has been removed.
A new homeowner recently purchased his very first home in Trenton, NJ. The home itself needed a little TLC, especially the attic area since there was mold all over the rafters! He recently had a roofer come in and replace all the broken attic fans as well as repair all the holes in the roof. Now all he needed was us to come in and remove the mold!
We began by applying our EPA-registered antimicrobial solution MAPS 1. MAPS 1 (which stands for Mold Abatement Polymer Solutions) attacks mold at its DNA and immediately kills it. After applying MAPS 1, we used our mold stain remover (which removes all the excess staining on the wood) and scrubbed away the mold growth.
Lastly, we applied our patented sealant called MAPS 2. This application encapsulates the surface mold is growing on and renders mold harmless and, most importantly, non-allergenic. One of the benefits of MAPS 2 is that it is moisture sensitive and will reactivate whenever it gets wet to prevent future mold growth.
Now the homeowner can enjoy his newly acquired property without worrying about dangerous mold growth in his attic.
The Mold Solutions team was dispatched to a residence in Trenton, NJ to take care of a mold problem. And it is a good thing that the homeowner called us when he did — before we are visited this summer by warm, humid “time to turn on the air conditioning” weather.
Mold is a type of fungus. It’s a living, breathing, reproducing organism. As long as there is water or moisture, mold will grow. Mold will consume any organic material by releasing dissolving enzymes. It will even grow on non-living surfaces other than wood because it can live and thrive on thin layers of dust. Dust, which inevitably contains organic debris, pretty much covers everything around us, even if we don’t always see it. As a result, mold is able to rear its ugly head almost anywhere and everywhere. And, as seen with this mold job, air conditioning units are not exempt from developing a nasty mold problem. With this home, the mold had attached itself to the central air unit. Even worse, this mold would have continued to release spores into the ductwork. Once the unit was turned on, the AC system would have turned into a mold-dispersing system, spewing out mold spores throughout the entire home. There is no faster way to spread mold throughout a home than blowing out mold spores through a forced-air HVAC system.
Why do HVAC systems often have mold issues? These systems do a great job of removing excess humidity, one of the most common culprits of indoor mold growth. That’s why it’s smart to use your AC on those hot summer days. Not only are you more comfortable, but you also reduce the chance of mold growth in your living areas. However, over time, mold can become an issue because damp air combined with dust and debris that gets past the air filter can create an environment ripe for mold growth. With AC units, mold often starts to grow on the evaporator coils where the condensation pan is located and where there is always some residual water. Standing water along with our humid, hot New Jersey summer air creates a breeding ground of all sorts of mold and fungi. Homeowners should periodically have their HVAC company inspect their system for mold and moisture before turning it on. The HVAC dust and system components should be free of moisture. Drain and condensate pans should be draining properly. When plugged, they can become a mold nursery. Drain hoses can get clogged and filled with mold. While everyone remembers to change their filters, humidifier pads can get moldy and should be changed as well.
First, we treated the affected areas with our EPA registered solution called Mold Abatement Polymer Solutions 1, also called MAPS 1. This product attacks mold on a cellular level and kills it instantly. Next, we scrubbed away the mold and applied MAPS 2, which is our patented sealant that encapsulates the surface mold is growing on and renders mold non-allergenic and harmless. MAPS 2 is also moisture-sensitive and reactivates whenever it gets wet to prevent the return of mold.
Mold growth is the result of water or moisture buildup. There are numerous ways that excess water or moisture can occur inside a home. Often, it's a leaky pipe while other times, its moisture build-up in crawl spaces, attics, and basements because of chronically high indoor humidity levels. With this homeowner in Manchester Township, NJ, the cause of the mold formation was, believe it or not, furniture placement!
The homeowners placed furniture directly against their HVAC registers — those vent grilles in your home that cover the hole where the duct enters the room to blow out heated or cooled air. As this homeowner found out the hard way, never block these registers! Doing so not only impedes the efficiency of your HVAC system, but it can also trigger dangerous mold growth by trapping the moisture in the air that’s blowing out of the ducts.
First, we treated the affected areas with our EPA registered anti-microbial called MAPS 1, which attacks mold on a cellular level and kills it instantly. We then scrubbed away the mold and applied MAPS 2, which is our patented sealant that encapsulates the surface mold is growing on and renders the mold non-allergenic and harmless. MAPS 2 is also moisture-sensitive and reactivates whenever it gets wet to prevent the return of mold.
Finally, as a precaution, we treated the ductwork. Since there was no underlying damage to any building materials and everything was structurally sound, there was no need for a building tear-out. With our mold treatment process, we simply kill the mold right where it sits, and we are often able to do so in less than a day.
our service area