Recently, I got a call from a homeowner in Bayville, NJ who had a ranch house on the water. The homeowner was selling their home and during the home inspection a mold air sample test was done and it showed higher than normal levels of mold in one particular room. Once a mold test shows high levels it is the sellers' responsibility to have a mold treatment done. I mean, who wants to inherit a home with mold in the house?
So I put on my Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and inspected the room. Wearing a PPE is vital when treating mold in a home. If you’re not wearing any PPE, you’re inviting all of those mold spores to settle on your clothing, the area you’re cleaning, your shoes (allowing mold to travel to other areas in your home), in your eyes, and up your nose into your upper respiratory system. So that is why I’m wearing the funky looking suit.
I first treated with our MAPS MA-1 antimicrobial solution to kill any active mold spores. MAPS, which stands for Mold Abatement Polymer Solutions (say that 3 times fast), is an EPA registered multi-purpose antimicrobial solution that will target mold on a molecular level and kill it instantly. As soon as I fog with the Maps 1 solution, I wipe down all surfaces of visible mold growth. After that, I let the Maps 1 solution dry for approximately 30 minutes. Then I fog with our Maps 2 solution to seal all surfaces. MAPS 2 is a polymer sealant that encases the mold on all surfaces for years to come and eliminates any new mold spores that land on those surfaces. It turns out, in this case, the cause of the higher level mold resulted from the homeowner storing all of his boat seat cushion inside of that room. The boat cushions hold a high level of moisture which caused the mold. So now the house has been treated, the homeowner can continue with the closing process and will now store his boat cushions in an area away from his home.
our service area